ST GEORGE GREENS ANNOUNCE YOUTH ENGAGEMENT INITIATIVE
Greens candidate for Oatley, Philippa Clark, has announced a initiative by the St George Greens to further engage young people in the electorates of Oatley, Kogarah and Rockdale with politics in the leadup to next year’s state election.
The group is holding an writing competition for high-school-age youth and are encouraging local students to get on board and submit an article addressing the question: “In light of the recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, how should Australia address climate change and build a more sustainable economy?”
Ms Clark said: “As a young person who’s engaged with politics because I care what the future will look like for my generation, I want to personally encourage the youth of St George to get involved and make a submission to our competition. We’d love to hear your ideas.”
The competition closes on 19 December. The judging panel includes representatives from the St George Greens, Greens NSW spokesperson on young people Mehreen Faruqi, and member of Kogarah Youth Council and former Youth MP for Rockdale, Jessica Zhang. The winner will receive a $100 Westfields gift voucher.
Entries can be up to 1,500 words long and should be submitted to email@example.com. Entrants should include their name, email, phone number and school if applicable. More details are available below*
Media contact: Philippa Clark 0435 609 301
Competition details, terms and conditions*
- The competition is open to people aged 12-18 who live and/or attend an education institution in the electorates of Oatley, Kogarah or Rockdale. You do not have to be currently enrolled in school to enter.
- The Promoter is the St George Greens.
- Entrants are required to write an article answering the question: “In light of the recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, how should Australia address climate change and build a more sustainable economy?”
- Entries should be kept to under 1,500 words, however there is no limit on how short the entry can be.
- Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the entrant’s name, contact phone number and email, and the name of the entrant’s school if applicable.
- The competition opens on 17 November 2014 and closes at 23:59 on 19 December 2014.
- Entries will be judged on the quality, originality and expression of ideas.
- The judges of the competition will be two representatives from the St George Greens, Dr Mehreen Faruqi, and Jessica Zhang. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be announced on 16 January 2015.
- The winner will receive a $100 Westfields gift voucher thanks to St George Greens.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected entries.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss, damage or injury suffered or sustained (even if caused by negligence) as a result of entering this competition or accepting the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- The Promoter reserves the right to request verification of age, identity, residential address of winners and any other information relevant to entry into or participation in this competition. Verification is at the discretion of the Promoter, whose decision is final. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who is involved in any way in interfering or tampering with the conduct of this promotion.